Catalog Doctor: How to Boost Page Sales, A Marketer's Checklist
Editorial Support to Grow Interest and Time Spent on Page
- Editorial can build your brand's credibility as an expert, create interest in your products and product categories, demonstrate how to use your products, and provide more uses for your products. It doesn't need to take up much room, and can often be slotted in odd spaces amongst your products.
Ask: Will this spread benefit from editorial support? Examples:
- testimonials (product specific or quality/service-oriented);
- how to use (e.g., recipes for food/cookware catalogs, how to cast foam for building model train landscapes, tips for attracting songbirds,etc.);
- did you know ("this ingredient is chocked with these vitamins," "Thomas Jefferson used one just like it" and "in this country, you don't need to tip the help"); and
- good deeds ("proceeds from this product go to this charity," "we recycle" or "we partner with this good program").
Susan J. McIntyre is founder & chief strategist of McIntyre Direct, a full-service catalog marketing agency and consulting firm in Portland, Ore. She can be reached at (503) 286-1400 or email@example.com.
Susan J. McIntyre is Founder and Chief Strategist of McIntyre Direct, a catalog agency and consultancy in Portland, Oregon offering complete creative, strategic, circulation and production services since 1991. Susan's broad experience with cataloging in multi-channel environments, plus her common-sense, bottom-line approach, have won clients from Vermont Country Store to Nautilus to C.C. Filson. A three-time ECHO award winner, McIntyre has addressed marketers in Europe, Australia and New Zealand, has written and been quoted in publications worldwide, and is a regular columnist for Retail Online Integration magazine and ACMA. She can be reached at 503-286-1400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.