During a session at last week’s Lenser & Associates client summit in San Rafael, Calif., Lenser partner Michelle Farabaugh offered several Web and e-mail marketing tips to the firm’s client base, which included more than 100 mid-size catalog marketers. Following are some that are worth keeping in front of you.
* Increase your advertising effectiveness by improving headlines, copy and destination landing pages. Include a value proposition, promotions, deferred billing and a buy now button.
* In e-mail, separately test segmentation, frequency, time of day/day of week, subject line, “From” address, format, offers, deadlines, length, landing pages and hold out panels in order to see true lift.
* Optimize feeds for paid inclusion and comparison shopping sites.
* Don’t let affiliates advertise your brand name.
* When choosing affiliates, use selective screening of new participants, Farabaugh said. Don’t allow bidding on brand, she noted, and don’t rely on discount programs.
* When creating privacy settings, default to the following options: Do send me e-mails; don’t share my e-mail address; do allow catalog mailings; and do allow sharing of my mailing address with select third parties.
* Include the following on the header of your site: Ordering phone number, e-mail sign-up, free catalog request, view shopping cart, site search, the current date in upper right corner and a request to “please bookmark this site.”