Attribution

From Fragmentation to Sophistication: The Need for Neutral Measurement in Retail Media
February 13, 2024 at 8:56 am

It’s not just you — advertising is getting more personal. Retailers and brands know more about consumers than ever, thanks to their first-party data, and retail media networks (RMNs) can deliver personalized advertising by leveraging it. Beyond its role in targeting consumers, this transactional data can also serve as a powerful attribution method, closing the…

The Fight for Independent Measurement in Retail Media
November 21, 2023 at 10:22 am

We’ve long been talking about media sellers grading their own homework in digital advertising. And it’s no different when it comes to retail media. If anything, brands are stuck between an even bigger rock and a hard place in retail media. Not only does the measurement come directly from the media seller, but the same…

3 Things Retailers Need to Think About for Black Friday Success and Beyond
November 15, 2023 at 9:49 am

Many retailers think of Black Friday and Cyber Monday as a sprint to the finish line. Brand teams work feverishly around the clock to attract new customers, stand out from the competition, and boost sales. And they breathe a huge sigh of relief when Nov. 28 rolls around and Black Friday and Cyber Monday are…

5 Things to Consider When Experimenting With In-Store Retail Media
August 1, 2023 at 1:47 pm

Retail media networks (RMNs) are expanding rapidly, and retailers of all sizes are joining the race, offering ad placements on an ever-widening variety of channels. The opportunity here is enormous, as these ads are shown to people who are already looking to make purchases — which isn't necessarily the case when compared to ads on…

Shopping Extensions Are Here to Stay — Learn to Measure and Test Their Impact
July 13, 2023 at 9:40 am

Consumers love bargains. At the time of this writing, 12 of the 13 top Chrome extensions in the Shopping category offer some flavor of automated coupon codes, price comparisons or cashback. For consumers, these browser-based tools are a way to find the best bargains at a time of global belt-tightening. For online stores, they're a…

Social Revenue May Be 245% More Than Reported. Here’s Why and What You Can Do to Fix it
April 26, 2023 at 11:53 am

New research shows that only 29 percent of brand site social revenue is currently being tracked by typical analytics and reporting tools. This leaves 71 percent of revenue coming from social channels being incorrectly attributed to direct website visitors. The signs have been there for a while: Consumers are spending on average two-and-a-half hours each…

How Machine Learning Can Help With E-Commerce Attribution
March 29, 2023 at 1:57 pm

Martech companies often throw around the terms artificial intelligence and machine learning, and marketers are left wondering how to sort through the hype and understand if and how these technologies help. This problem is especially pronounced in attribution, which is crucial to optimizing marketing campaigns but suffers from doubts about its very possibility. Claims that…

The Cascading Challenge of Merchant-Driven Product Attributes
May 17, 2022 at 10:34 am

The most common excuse made in the world of business and commerce — often said defensively, in hushed tones and with no small degree of implied embarrassment — is, “it’s the way we’ve always done it.” Well, we’re only human, after all. Stagnation and stasis and the comfort of the known often keeps us from…