When You Need More Than Clickstream Data
Costs & Benefits
Prices for Web Analytics systems generally range from $10,000 to as high as $60,000 or more per year, depending on hosted vs. non-hosted, optional modules, support contracts and configuration.
The return on investment (ROI) can be stupendous, though. Companies that are undertaking the following can tell you that the Web Analytics tools they use for these vital activities are well worth every penny:
- fine-tuning keywords and keyword bidding,
- discovering which pages customers and prospects really visit, and from where,
- optimizing links and revenues per click,
- doing product category analysis,
- fine-tuning site search terms,
- looking realistically at conversion funnels,
- diagnosing points of abandonment, and
- taking a hard look at campaign profitability.
Of course, you don’t have to use all of a system’s features, or even most of them, to get an impressive ROI.
Ernie Schell is author of “The Guide to Catalog Management Software” and president of Marketing Systems Analysis, Southampton, Pa., which helps catalog companies specify and select order processing software. You can reach him at (215) 396-0660.