Customer service has crossed a threshold thanks to the rapid ascent of generative artificial intelligence. Retailers can tap the powers of generative AI to automate internal and external customer service processes, improve and personalize experiences, and elevate problem-solving.
However, integrating generative AI into customer service processes requires careful planning and implementation. Decision-makers must develop a strategic blueprint that guides how generative AI will streamline operations and improve customer experiences (CX).
Generative AI in Customer Service
Companies can use generative AI to enhance operational efficiency and customer satisfaction in several ways. For example:
- Automate With the Latest Information: Generative AI can populate and maintain an always-current, self-service repository that aids customers in finding answers without the wait for human agents.
- Sentiment Analysis: Employing generative AI to decode customer feedback can yield rich insights into customer sentiments, laying a foundation for enhanced customer relationships.
- Predictive Customer Retention: Analysis of customer interactions with AI can flag potential churn risks, allowing companies to initiate retention strategies proactively.
- Tailored Product Suggestions: Companies can leverage generative AI’s creative abilities to offer personalized recommendations based on customer history and preferences, facilitating an easy discovery process.
- Custom Marketing Initiatives: AI can craft individualized marketing strategies that resonate with customer interests, bolstering brand engagement and sales metrics.
Suppose your company is ready to develop a blueprint for deploying generative AI. In that case, it's crucial to clearly grasp what you aim to achieve — and how generative AI can catalyze those goals. A wise first step is to roll out the AI capabilities to your home base — your own staff. This internal rollout provides a safe environment for everyone to get comfortable with the new technology while reaping immediate benefits. During this process, you can automate simple yet time-consuming tasks like answering common questions and making workflows more efficient for employees.
Understanding your company’s unique needs sets the stage for every subsequent decision. Once your objectives are locked in, the next step is to train internal AI tools to best serve the team members using them. By methodically integrating generative AI into customer service via a staged, in-house approach, you can refine daily operations and set the stage for later success. By arming your in-house team with a robust understanding of generative AI, you can pave the way for a smooth transition to serving external customers. Generative AI can collect and analyze the data to confirm that the technology's benefits are sustainably impactful.
By developing a strategy to harness the rapidly evolving capabilities of generative AI, your business can not only stay ahead of the CX curve, but also help reshape it in ways that enhance human expertise rather than replace it. Generative AI can help your business empower your teams — and ultimately your customers — on a whole new level.
Rebecca Jones is the general manager of Mosaicx, a leading provider of customer service AI and cloud-based technology solutions for enterprise companies and institutions.
Rebecca Jones is the general manager of Mosaicx, a leading provider of customer service AI and cloud-based technology solutions for enterprise companies and institutions. Rebecca joined the West Technology Group, owner of Mosaicx, in January 2021, after a 25+ year career focused on growing businesses, people and client success. Rebecca also serves as a member of the board of the Families for Effective Autism Treatment (FEAT) of Louisville, KY, is an executive sponsor for Women of West, actively volunteers for The Molly Johnson Foundation that supports children with special needs, and champions causes promoting women in technology, including the IWL Foundation (Integrating Women Leaders Foundation), Tech Up for Women, and CCWomen.