Online Data Provides Glimpse Into Black Friday Shopping
CouponFollow analyzed Google search volumes to find out which retailers in the U.S. are going to be the most popular this year. We used search tool Ahrefs to find the most recent data on monthly search volumes for America’s top retailers. Explore the table below for details.
Furthermore, there have been nearly 1 billion emails already sent by retailers this Black Friday — over half of the total volume that was sent on Black Friday in 2022. On Thanksgiving Day, 1.34 billion emails were sent to shoppers. Initial results from Sinch, an email delivery service for businesses globally, show:
- Volume Sent: 876.6M
- Total Opens: 189.6M
- Total Clicks: 5.8M
- Processing time; 78 milliseconds
- Delivery rate: 96.9 percent
Lastly, Kearney partners Michael Brown and Brian Ehrig, as well as Kearney Consumer Institute lead Katie Thomas, offered the following observations of the holiday shopping season to date:
- Rising debt and housing costs plus the reinstatement of college loans will throttle spending.
- Consumer responsiveness to sales has dampened recently and inventory levels are still high.
- Discounts will be generous and will get more aggressive if this weekend doesn't meet expectations.
- Off-price retailers' inventory should be strong due to the excess inventory industry-wide.
- Brand loyalty is relatively low, in some cases even worse than during the pandemic.
- Consumers are willing to spend but are still looking for markdowns vs. full-price product.
- The recent elimination of free returns of online purchases will drive more consumers to stores.