Mailing Groups Appeal Postal Regulatory Commission Exigency Decision
The Direct Marketing Association joined with partners in the mailing community in filing an appeal at the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington, seeking relief from the recent Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC) decision to allow an exigent postal increase set to take effect on Jan. 26. In December, the PRC announced it would grant the USPS request for an exigent postage increase of 4.3 percent. The 4.3 percent exigent rate is scheduled to be implemented simultaneously with an inflation-based rate adjustment of 1.7 percent approved earlier by the PRC. Thus, mailers are facing a total price increase averaging 6 percent.