Ralph Lauren is Outfitting Digital Characters and Changing its Logo in Fortnite
Apparel brand Ralph Lauren and digital game world Fortnite are collaborating to create a digital and physical fashion collection that will live in the online game platform owned by Epic Games and be available for purchase in the real world. The digital collection includes outfits containing "sport graphics and bold designs" with "eye-catching color palettes," according to Ralph Lauren, who launched the line Wednesday. It also comes with digital accessories like a pickaxe used for playing in Fortnite's battles. The physical collection includes two drops: one which Ralph Lauren revealed on Wednesday, which includes four different-colored polo shirts and caps; and one that drops Dec. 1.
For the first time in Ralph Lauren history, the company's iconic Polo Pony has also been redesigned for the fashion collection, and now features the Polo man straddling a piñata llama — a staple feature in Fortnite.
Total Retail's Take: Fortnite has more than 80 million active users, giving Ralph Lauren another channel in which to attract potential customers. Over 60 percent of Fortnite's player base is 16-24 years old, with the remaining nearly 40 percent being over age 24 — which typically translates into more buying power. Luxury brands have been flocking to the metaverse. For example, Gucci has sold virtual bags on Roblox, another metaverse platform, and Balenciaga has sold character skins on Fortnite.
Ralph Lauren is taking it a step further, launching experiences that are tied to the new product collection both virtually and in person. An in-person kick-off event held in New York Thursday and streamed on Twitch will feature three hours of live programing, where viewers can interact with top Fortnite gamers, play games and listen to a musical performance by the rapper Polo G. On Friday, Ralph Lauren will co-host a global player tournament in Fortnite, "The Polo Stadium Cup," during which participants will earn in-game rewards and have access to Ralph Lauren's digital outfits and accessories.