Overwhelming Majority of Online Merchants Plan Rich Media Projects in 2007
More than 90 percent of catalogers and online retailers plan to use rich media on their sites in the coming year, according to a recently released report from rich media platform provider Scene 7. Rich media refers to the set of Web applications that allow consumers to flip pages in online catalogs, zoom in on products or otherwise engage in an interactive way with a Web site.
The survey revealed the percentage of online merchants that have deployed or plan to deploy specific rich media applications in the coming year.
* Dynamic cross selling - 73 percent;
* Alternate product views - 68 percent;
* Better product images - 63 percent;
* Product zoom - 63 percent;
* Online catalogs and circulars - 54 percent; and
* Color swatching and colorizing - 49 percent.
In rating the most effective applications defined by those who have deployed them,
* 78 percent rated Product Zoom effective or very effective;
* 76 percent rated Visual Product Configurators effective or very effective;
* 75 percent rated Color Swatching and Colorizing effective or very effective;
* 73 percent rated Online Monogramming effective or very effective; and
* 73 percent rated Alternative views effective or very effective;
Source: Scene 7’s “Rich Internet Experience 2006 and Beyond” report, http://www.scene7.com/news/2007/20070110.asp