Catalog is Top Sales Driver for Multichannel Merchants
In its annual State of the Catalog Industry report, the Direct Marketing Association revealed that 62 percent of multichannel companies, including catalog, retail and Internet merchants, use catalogs as their primary sales channel. The recent online survey includes responses from 106 multichannel merchants. Here are some highlights from the report.
* The print catalog is the largest revenue generator among all channels, with an average of nearly 50 percent of sales in 2007 and 2008;
* 32 percent of respondents use search marketing as a tool to cross-sell offline buyers online;
* circulation has surged in the past five years as more companies use catalogs to drive Web business;
* 90 percent of respondents track response rates for online buyers separately from offline buyers, up significantly from around 60 percent in 2005 and 2006; and
* 50 percent have fully integrated marketing functions, though 60 percent to 70 percent report being fully integrated in operational, consumer-facing functions.
For more information, go to www.the-dma.org.