What's Waiting to Be ‘Just Born' in Your Production Line?
Everyone probably has a childhood PEEPS story as part of their Easter memories. In addition to colored eggs and jelly beans, marshmallow PEEPS seem to be Easter must-haves. Take a peek at these PEEPS fun facts from its company's website, Just Born:
- Just Born got its name when founder Sam Born proudly displayed in his store window an evolving line of daily-made candy, declaring them "just born."
- In 1953, it took 27 hours to create one PEEPS marshmallow chick. Today, thanks to advances in technology, it takes six minutes.
- Just Born produces enough PEEPS marshmallow candies in one year to circle the earth twice.
- In the late 1950s, PEEPS’ wings were "clipped" to give them a sleek, modern look.
- PEEPS Brand Candies have been the No. 1 nonchocolate brand at Easter for over 20 years.
- Yellow is America's best-selling color of PEEPS chicks and bunnies.
- PEEPS have become gourmet favorites as fondues, Crème Brulee ingredients and cappuccino toppings!
These clever, whimsical PEEPS are front and center for much more brand seasonalizing. Have you seen (or smelled!) the recently released marshmallow chicks candle that Just Born created with Yankee Candle?
Just Born partnered with Volkswagen Beetle and has its own PEEPSter vehicle that creates brand awareness around the country at various events, including sharing Random Acts of Sweetness.
In addition, PEEPS’ website encourages all sorts of ways for customers to express their "peepsonality" through entertaining pins, recipes and photos.
As the company has grown, PEEPS’ stories now encompass many other holidays. No longer just available at Easter, PEEPS in one form or another can be part of your Valentine's Day, Halloween, Christmas and even year-round. Just Born has taken full creative advantage of the opportunities the calendar presents, with surprises, shapes and flavors like chocolate mousse-flavored marshmallow reindeers to vanilla crème-flavored marshmallow hearts.
What impressed me most, however, was the last line in PEEPS’ brand philosophy: We believe our work has just begun. That's great encouragement for all brands — stay humble. Keep learning, creating, extending your winning products. Have fun with your product line. Make customers smile. Make memories.
What holiday best represents your brand? How might the successes from that season be a springboard for others? What whimsical ways can you surprise and delight your customers through seasonal product promotions? What's waiting to be "just born" in your product offering?