Email Applied: Promotional Planning Ideas That Will Make Your Life Easier
There are plenty of online resources to help you plan your email promotion schedule. Here’s a look at just a few entries for May. The lists are usually extensive, but the trick is identifying the opportunities that are pertinent to your business. Then come up with creative ways to take advantage of those events.
- May 4 - May 10: National Wildflower Week
- May 4 - May 10: Small Business Week
- May 5: Cinco de Mayo
- May 8: Mother’s Day
- May 11 - May 17: National Running and Fitness Week
- May 17: New York Stock Exchange established (1792)
- May 24: International Jazz Day
Promotional Planning Cadence
In addition to taking advantage of events, you can do other things as you develop a promotional calendar. Probably the most important advice is to promote a good mix of products and offers. An example of a month of promotional emails from a clothing and accessory company can be found in the chart below. (I’m registered on its list.)
Notice the company sends many emails, but it varies the focus to appeal to its list. It segments and uses sales, but also provides a nice variety of products — particularly to its target segment.
Take a moment to think about this plan. It’s relevant to me as a female, since I provided this information when I registered. In most emails I see relevant products based on my gender. The company does use many offers, including free shipping and sales, but some emails have no offers.
Focus on Subject Lines
Retailers know that they need to stand out in the inbox. Subject lines drive open rates. Take a minute to think about your own email behavior. If you receive a series of emails with subject lines that continually promote discounts (e.g., 5 percent off, 10 percent off, 20 percent off), they probably don’t grab your attention. Many other retailers are using the same tactic. Continuous promotion of sales and discounts can cheapen your brand. Try a mix of promotions. Here are examples of subject lines that might spur your thinking:
Sales and Savings
- Just In! 8 Fabulous New Looks...20% Off, Too
- Our Spring Wardrobe Event - Save up to $200
- Our Printing Mistake = Your Golf Ball Savings, Up to 40%
- Score Big Savings - Up to 40% Off at Our Game Day Sale! (sent before the Super Bowl)
- And the winner is: You. Save up to $339 on select Dell systems. (sent before the Academy Awards)
- We’ve Got Spring Fever: 3 Savings You Can’t Miss!
- Expires in 48 HOURS - Claim Your $25.00 Coupon Now - on orders of $50 or more
- Go clearance-crazy: Save up to 65% before these deals go.
Free or Discounted Shipping
- What’s your look? Find it and get free shipping!
- Today Only! $1 Shipping
- Ship all for $1! Your top-rated favorites...revealed!
- it’s a party! free shipping on all orders in honor of our birthday!
Gift With Purchase
- Choose your Free Gift: Tenderloin Steak Tips or Steak Burgers
- 3 New Scents + Buy 3, Get 2 Free! Details Inside.
- Today’s free sample is... – free samples with every order
It takes discipline, but advanced planning makes your life easier. You’ll have a blueprint that provides direction and guidance.