Partner Voices: How CRM Retargeting Can Increase Conversions
Customer relationship management (CRM) retargeting is at the forefront of a lot of discussion in the advertising and marketing space right now (alongside analogous terms like deterministic data matching and email list matching). In the past year alone, Google has launched Customer Match, and Wal-Mart, eBay, LinkedIn and Marketo have all introduced their own CRM retargeting solutions.
What this means is that it’s easier than ever for retailers to leverage their customer data in a way that was impossible just a few short years ago. However, while the technology is taking off, not all retailers are familiar yet with the ins and outs of CRM retargeting. With that in mind, here are some answers about what it is and how it works.
What is CRM Retargeting?
CRM retargeting uses a marketer’s owned customer data — e.g., email list segments — to match known customers across any device or browser within logged-in media like Facebook, Twitter, Google search, YouTube and (our favorite) email.
By combining your customer data with modern advertising technology, CRM retargeting can complement any campaign, enabling your brand to effectively do the following:
- communicate with customers across all devices and channels;
- connect offline data with online behavior to inform more relevant messaging and improve attribution;
- increase reach and frequency for improved performance; and
- respect customer privacy without sacrificing accuracy.
Why Use CRM Retargeting?
CRM retargeting works essentially the same way as any other CRM campaign you might run, only instead of relying on customers opening your emails to deliver your message, you can proactively reach these exact customers wherever they’re paying attention. Here’s how it works:
- Tom gives you his email address (email@example.com).
- You include Tom in a CRM retargeting campaign offering 20 percent off his next purchase.
- Tom uses that same email address to log into an online platform like Twitter.
- Tom sees the offer every time he signs into Twitter on his smartphone, tablet and laptop.
Since the campaign is matching Tom’s email address to your message, you can be sure that Tom is going to see it, no matter what device he’s using.
To learn more about CRM retargeting, download LiveIntent’s new CRM Retargeting Handbook here.