5 Reasons Why Catalogers Struggle Selling Online
That said, some customers don't need to receive your full-sized catalog. Use analytics to determine those who don't, and save money by not mailing them catalogs, LaPierre said. Test email prospecting, email append, web-only products and web-only buyer products to find those prospects that can become customers without the expense of having to mail them a catalog. And in today's world, that includes social media.
Social media is where the web was in 1995, yet it's still ignored by many catalogers, said LaPierre. Here are some other tips LaPierre recommended catalogers implement to become more web-focused:
- make it mandatory that consumers leave an email address when requesting your catalog online;
- include web call-outs on your catalog covers and inside pages;
- include customer reviews in your catalog;
- feature a blog and customer reviews on your website to drive orders;
- don't make capturing source codes on your shopping cart page a priority if it's causing abandonments;
- use fractional allocations rather than straight matchbacks based on last contact when attributing sales to which marketing vehicle drove them;
- reference mobile apps (if applicable) in your catalog; and
- mention videos in your catalog to drive consumers to your website to view them.
It All Comes Down to the Merchandise
The success of any catalog mailing is dependent upon the following, said LaPierre: 60 percent merchandise; 20 percent mailing list; 10 percent creative; and 10 percent customer service. To help diversify your products, consider the following: An explosion of color options isn't a sign of fashion trends or a boon to the consumer, but rather a sign uninspired merchants, LaPierre said.
True innovation and creative thinking is what's needed to sell products today. Other merchandising tips that LaPierre offered included the following:
- name products for search optimization (e.g., hikers in favor of hiking boots); and
- support web-only products with emails, pay-per-click campaigns and prominence on your website.