Key Questions for You
August advised other catalogers to ask the following questions of their own marketing programs:
* Are we overspending?;
* What’s the affiliate role?;
* Do we have a need for a middle man?; and
* What’s our tipping point?
He wrapped up his presentation by offering five tips to help marketing programs stay fit.
1. Understand change is possible;
2. Capture data needed — for example, path of purchase;
3. Analyze the online and offline interaction;
4. Construct an integrated P&L; and
5. Act on the data — adjust spending accordingly.
“Applying statistical methods to selecting names is the best process,” August said. Especially in today’s mailing environment with the recent postal increases, effective list and circulation management is a top priority for all catalogers.