Start Mobile Monetization Before it's Too Late
In a digital world that's increasingly viewed through a 4.8-inch display, mobile optimization is critical. Consider the following:
- nearly 20 percent of the digital activity from U.S. adults comes from a mobile device [eMarketer];
- $76 billion will be spent this year by consumers on their tablet device for goods and services [Forrester]; and
- mobile ad spending is projected to account for 15.8 percent of all U.S. ad spending by 2017 [eMarketer].
It doesn't matter how good your content or product is, if it's not optimized for mobile, most users will lose interest. The shopping experience has shifted from a simple funnel to a sales loop with multiple points of entry. Shopping can begin in-store and end on a smartphone, or vice versa. If one of these entry points is lacking in any way — e.g., the path to purchase isn't clear and direct — consumers will get lost.
With this in mind, it's important for retailers to understand how to optimize their mobile presence. This can seem like a daunting task, but the returns are well worth the challenge. Here are eight tactics to consider:
1. Co-branded media campaigns: Start by making sure your online programs have a mobile equivalent. For many retailers, 50 percent or more of their traffic comes from mobile devices, so all campaigns should be mobile optimized. I've found that when content includes media co-branding (e.g., Get Tyson Sausage Patties at Sam's Club) the clickthrough rates are 75 percent higher than basic mobile network media. Furthermore, brands will pay to reach your customers and drive traffic back to their experience on your site.
2. Optimized tablet media: Another low-impact way for brands to reach your customers is through tablets. On average, tablets account for about 13 percent of a retailer's web traffic. This can be as simple as presenting targeted offers or giving users a tablet-optimized experience when they click through an ad. Replacing standard banner units with tablet-specific units such as interstitials will provide a deeper integration opportunity.