OK, as a journalist, I’m not supposed to show any allegiance to a brand. I'm supposed to be unbiased and straightforward with just the facts, ma’am. And most of the time I am. But I’ve been reading a lot about the cool stuff online luxury retailer Net-A-Porter has been doing lately, and I can’t contain my excitement. Here are three reasons I think it's a great company:
1. Porter magazine: The Wall Street Journal reported back in February about a glossy new fashion magazine created by Net-A-Porter called Porter. Besides the fact that the magazine looks great — think Harper’s Bazaar or Vogue — the fashions in it can be purchased from Net-A-Porter, brands' websites or other stores with the use of a mobile app or a call to a concierge service. Porter's digital version also makes it easy to click and buy.
While most retailers and luxury brands are cutting back on paper, Net-A-Porter took a good look at its customer base and decided to buck the trend and create a fashion magazine from which they could purchase. In the WSJ article, for example, Natalie Massenet, founder and executive chairwoman of Net-A-Porter, says of the company’s customers: “These are women who love fashion magazines, but 60 percent of their purchases are online."
Net-A–Porter also views its magazine as an added revenue source. In fact, according to the WSJ article, 35 percent of Porter's pages are devoted to advertising, with the remaining 65 percent budgeted for editorial.
2. Shoppable fashion: According to an article in the Independent, Net-A-Porter and fashion designer Alice Temperley joined forces this year to launch a shoppable fashion film that allows consumers to collect items they're interested in purchasing without interrupting viewing.
The film, which was directed by Temperley and filmed by her brother Henry, “depicts the glamorous cast attending a summer party hosted at Temperley's own Somerset home,” according to the article.