Petco Sued Over Boy's Death From Rat-Bite Fever
After their son died from an infection carried by his pet rat, the family of 10-year-old Aidan Pankey has decided to sue Petco. A couple weeks after receiving a rat purchased from Petco, Pankey was rushed to the hospital with severe stomach pains and a fever. On June 12, Pankey died from streptobacillus moniliformis, otherwise known as rat-bite fever, according to the Los Angeles Times. Pankey's family is accusing Petco of negligence in not sufficiently testing the rat for the disease. They also claim that Petco failed to warn of the possible risks involved with owning a rat.