How Retailers Can Use Guided Selling to Drive Holiday Sales
Every year, retail employees are tasked with learning and selling seasonal items along with brand staples to provide the best experience possible for consumers. Believe it or not, customer service will be the defining key to sales this holiday season.
One crucial element of customer service is trust. If a consumer doesn’t trust a brand and its products, they’re unlikely to make a purchase. It’s critical for sales associates and brands to present shoppers with knowledgeable insights that aid in the purchasing process to earn trust. A recent report from Accenture focusing on the top areas for improving sales effectiveness identified just how important trust is.
Consider the following findings from Accenture’s report:
- 70 percent of firms have yet to develop strong relationships with their customers;
- 82 percent of chief sales officers report that their organizations aren’t directing customer service representatives to take advantage of cross-selling or upselling opportunities;
- 47.5 percent of sales representatives take 10 months or longer to contribute to company goals;
- 52.1 percent of leads are generated by sales reps and 24.8 percent are generated by marketing, while only 23.1 percent come from customer referrals; and
- guided selling applications have been supporting cross-sell and upsell workflows for over a decade. There’s significant upside potential for these organizations as cross-sell and upsell opportunities can be quickly automated, taught to sales reps, and relied on to increase sales and profitability.
How can you immediately improve sales effectiveness and earn customer trust? Sales teams are in an incredible position to use digital marketing tools like guided selling not only online, but in-store with the use of kiosks, tablets, mobile devices and more. Using customer feedback based on a series of lifestyle or usage-based questions, a guided selling solution can suggest products that will provide individualized support based on the customer’s lifestyle and preferences compiled within their customer profile.